Are routine eye exams really that important? Yes!
According to the American Optometric Association, adults between the ages of 18 to 60 should receive a comprehensive eye exam every two years. Adults who are 61 and older, meanwhile, should receive an in-depth eye exam annually.
What is a comprehensive eye exam?
A comprehensive eye exam is a series of medical tests designed to measure your vision and eye health. During a comprehensive eye exam, your doctor doesn’t just check to see if you need glasses – they also look to see if you have any signs of illness.
Comprehensive eye exams may include:
- Visual acuity tests designed to measure the sharpness of your vision at different distances.
- A color blindness test designed to look for signs of color blindness and other disorders that may influence your color vision.
- Ocular motility tests that will evaluate how well your eyes can follow and fixate on various objects.
- A cover test that measures how well your eyes work as a team.
- A glaucoma test that checks your intraocular pressure to see if you are at risk for – or have – glaucoma.
- A pupil dilation test in which the physician dilates your pupils to look inside your eyes for signs of disease.
- And more.
Even if you don’t have glasses, receiving comprehensive eye exams are vital. Many eye diseases don’t have symptoms in the early stages. Leaving these conditions untreated can ultimately result in vision loss.
What if I recently received a vision screening?
Vision screenings are not the same as comprehensive eye exams. Whereas comprehensive eye exams can take up to an hour, screenings usually take several minutes and only involve testing visual acuity. These tests can only catch major vision problems and cannot detect the early symptoms of serious conditions like glaucoma and diabetic eye disease
Comprehensive eye exams are also provided by professionals – vision screenings are often performed by volunteers who are not eye care professionals. Your vision is important and deserves professional care.
Comprehensive eye exams at South East Eye
Interested in receiving a comprehensive eye exam? South East Eye’s team of experts is ready to help you maintain and protect your vision. For more information about our services, contact us today.